Vineyard Supervisor and Cellar Hand
Company: PAROA BAY WINERY
Uploaded: 07 October 2019
Closes: 07 November 2019
Located in the Bay of Islands, Paroa Bay Winery is a boutique estate combining luxury accommodation, traditional handmade wines, and a new Mediterranean-influenced restaurant, Sage. We employ traditional techniques of viticulture and dry grown vines to create distinctive handcrafted wines of character in low yields, reflecting the white clay soils and warm climate of the Bay of Islands.
We are a small team and looking for a person suitable for Vineyard Supervisor/Cellar Hand position.
Please apply only if you can fulfil the below:
- Previous winery and vineyard experience
- Laboratory experience will be an added advantage, but not compulsory
- A tertiary qualification in winemaking and viticulture or similar
- Basic knowledge of vineyard spray management
- Be a capable Machinery Operator
- Ability to work in a team environment and work alone, and give constructive feedback
- Assist and work closely with the Vineyard Manager to complete the required tasks in the vineyard, according to the season
- Assist with the supervision of casual workers for quality control and maximise productivity, to optimise the quality and quantity of the grapes at the vineyards
- Provide farm machinery (tractor, weed eating, mowing, miscellaneous tractor work) operations support required to perform the vineyard tasks to enhance productivity. Maintain records and procedures to ensure training and compliance with quality, health and safety requirements
- Execute spray programmes as and when required by the Vineyard Manager/Viticulturist. Maintain accurate records of sprays and discuss variations with Vineyard Manager/Viticulturist, if needed
- Monitor and undertake sugar sampling (brix samples) of grapes in designated areas of the vineyards, record and report results to the Vineyard Manager
- Coordinate and execute harvest operations during vintage, including but not limited to, tank cleaning, wine/juice transfers, barrel cleaning, barrel handling and wine work related to barrels, operating press, pumps, refrigeration system, de-stemmer, etc.
- Report any repair or maintenance requirement for existing machineries. To minimise or isolate all work place hazards to maintain a safe working environment for all staff involved
- Maintenance of the vineyards and surrounding grounds for overall cleanliness at the vineyards
- The post-holder may be required from time-to-time, to undertake other duties within the Estate as may be reasonably expected, without changing the general character of the duties or the level of responsibility entailed
Only people eligible to work in this country should apply for this position. Please provide evidence of your work visa or citizenship.
- For more information about the Northland wine region, click here