Terra Sancta Vineyard & Farm Assistant Manager
Bannockburn, Central Otago
Company: Terra Sancta
Uploaded: 06 September 2019
Closes: 27 September 2019
Terra Sancta runs a regenerative organic farming system across our four Bannockburn vineyards including an innovative no-till farming programme involving beneficial plantings, cover crops, companion planting, the use of animals, and an active composting and compost tea program. As Terra Sancta’s Vineyard & Farm Assistant Manager you will be working as part of our dedicated team, taking a hands-on role in the delivery and management of our work programme across our vineyards and farm.
Your role will include:
Vineyard, Farm & General Environment:
- Operation of vineyard equipment, including and related to canopy management, spraying and mowing.
- Maintenance and issue identification related to irrigation and trellis.
- Working with our Organic Farmer to ensure healthy and productive management of our animals.
- Maintaining vineyard facilities and machinery to a high standard.
Management & Supervision:
- Managing and supervising permanent, seasonal and part-time workers to achieve productive outcomes on time and on budget.
- Working with the Vineyard Manager to maintain accurate records including related to organic conversion.
- Working with Vineyard Management to plan for and allocate resources and day-to-day responsibilities across farm and vineyards to achieve desired outcomes.
- Working with the Vineyard Manager to schedule and work on special projects (fence repair, landscaping, erosion control/maintenance etc).
- Leading by example and enforcing health, safety and PPE requirements and standards.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- BS in Viticulture, Horticulture or equivalent experience.
- Strong computer skills, including experience with spreadsheets.
- Thorough understanding of vineyard farming practices and growing cycles.
- Highly-organised and detail-oriented - ability to prioritise tasks and assign work to meet productivity and time requirements.
- Decision making and leadership - ability to make sound decisions and enforce company rules, policies and safety practices.
- Supervision - experience successfully supervising teams of 15+ in a farm environment.
- Proactive communicator - communicate in a timely manner all concerns regarding work progress, work quality, order of tasks, and employee safety.
- Effective communicator - communicate directions and ideas in a clear, respectful manner.
- Interpersonal skills - ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships both within Terra Sancta and with external parties, including vendors/contractors.
- Physically capable - ability to lift and carry 20+kg as required and work in the extremes of the Central Otago climate throughout the year.
- Qualified to drive motor vehicles, light trucks, and tractors.
- Some early mornings and/or weekend work will be required at certain times.
- Reports to the Terra Sancta Vineyard Manager
Only people eligible to work in this country should apply for this position. Please provide evidence of your work visa or citizenship.
- For information about the Central Otago wine Region, click here.