New South Wales
Company: Topper's Mountain Wines
Uploaded: 13 August 2019
Closes: 13 September 2019
In 1999, the Kirkby family commenced the development of a pioneering, cool-climate 10ha vineyard at Tingha, near Inverell. Almost 20 years later, this part of the New England GI has emerged as one of the most exciting cool-climate grape growing regions in NSW. The mature vineyard now produces an award-winning range of varietal wines under the Topper’s Mountain label: the Gewurztraminer is already regarded as one of Australia’s finest and the growing portfolio also includes excellent Tannat, Nebbiolo, Barbera, Tempranillo, Sauvignon Blanc and Shiraz Viognier wines.
The management of this vineyard is an opportunity for an experienced, hands-on viticulturist. Alternatively, it may appeal to a less experienced individual who has an excellent grasp of horticulture, and who is able to achieve results under the supervision of a viticultural consultant.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Develop and personally implement an annual vineyard Operating Plan, based on sustainable viticulture principles
- Establish, and work to, an annual budget
- Drive innovation and continuous improvement across all vineyard operations
- Effectively manage casual staff
- Maintain, adapt and develop timely, seasonally-specific fruit quality and weather contingency strategies to meet grape quality and production goals
- Effectively liaise with owners and winemaker to achieve the family’s goals
- Oversee, maintain and implement all relevant operational and HR, OH&S, procedural and legal compliance requirements
If a candidate has an aptitude for developing relationships with consumers, there would also be an opportunity to:
- Provide interesting and instructive tastings and brand-building to Cellar Door customers and visitors (the Cellar Door is open by appointment only)
- Manage wholesale sales activities in the regional area including Inverell, Armidale, Glen Innes, Tamworth and Tenterfield
The successful candidate will require:
- A Bachelors’ Degree in Viticulture or Horticulture and/or equivalent qualification from a recognised tertiary institution. However, non–graduates with a strong track record in a Vineyard Manager or Supervisor’s role but no tertiary qualifications, will be equally considered
- Ideally but not mandatory, 4 years’ experience in a comparable viticultural management position with a company producing premium and super-premium quality grapes
- Wide-ranging methodical and technical proficiencies, with problem solving skills across all vineyard operations
- A budget conscious and results-driven approach
As a person, you will have:
- A hands-on approach to all aspects of the role
- Independence, motivation, self-reliance and the ability meet the requirements of the role with minimal supervision
- A passion to innovate, improve and succeed
- The ability to communicate effectively and collaboratively with the customers, owners, winemaker, contractors and suppliers
An attractive remuneration package (possibly including vehicle and family accommodation at the vineyard), plus appropriate relocation costs, will be offered to the successful candidate.
For further information or to apply in strict confidence, please email a letter of application and your CV to Chris Anstee via this website using the button above.
Only people eligible to work in this country should apply for this position. Please provide evidence of your work visa or citizenship.
- To find out more about the Australian wine industry, click here.