Bannockburn, Central Otago
Company: Terra Sancta
Uploaded: 27 May 2019
Closes: 29 June 2019
Terra Sancta is looking for an outstanding Vineyard Manager to lead a team across 36 hectares of the oldest and best situated vines located in the premium Central Otago subregion of Bannockburn. With a range of soils (limestone, schist, clay, quartz), and a range of plantings from 2,500 to 8,000 per hectare, Terra Sancta produces award-winning wines, made in a style to showcase both site and soil. Our philosophy is to make vineyard driven single block wines consistently from the same blocks, meaning this role is critical to the wines we produce.
A key part of the role is to lead the Terra Sancta regenerative organic farming program. With our Felton Road Estate vineyards having been managed organically for a period of time, and with an innovative no-till farming program that involves beneficial plantings, cover crops, companion planting, the use of animals, and an active composting and compost tea program; we are looking to build an entire system that is regenerative and full of vitality and health, as well as working through formal organic/biodynamic accreditation for these vineyards.
Our plantings are 75% Pinot Noir, as well as one hectare of Chardonnay on limestone soils, Pinot Gris on quartz rich soils, 1995 planted terraced Riesling, as well as some unique Northern Italian varietals. While a young business (founded in 2011), Terra Sancta is already in The Real Review’s Top 25 wine producers, being ranked 23 in the 2018 rankings.
Terra Sancta also produces a super-premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Killarabbit IPA, supplies vineyard raised eggs to local restaurants, and owns a distribution business that imports wines…so if you enjoy great Central Otago wine, exciting wines from around the world, premium olive oil, craft beer and delicious eggs, as well as aspire to be part of a great team and leave a positive mark on the wine industry, and the quality of the land and vines in Bannockburn’s first planted vineyard, this is the role for you.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Viticulture experience – at least 7 years with a demonstrated history of effective people management/senior management position.
- Experience in planning labour requirements across the seasons.
- Horticulture/Viticulture, or other relevant degree (e.g sciences, agriculture).
- Experience growing Pinot Noir.
- Experience with organics and/or biodynamics.
- Strong planning, project management, and analytical skills.
- Strong and proven work ethic.
- Leadership qualities and a clear people management approach.
- Willingness to do what is required, drive a tractor, and get your hands dirty.
- High levels of curiosity, passion for wine, and a drive to expand their knowledge and continually improve.
To apply, use the button above, (or for confidential enquiries) and to apply, please send your CV along with your cover letter to email@example.com
- For information about the Central Otago wine Region, click here.