South Island Horticulture Manager
Company: Cherri Global Limited
Uploaded: 03 April 2019
Closes: 03 May 2019
South Island Horticulture Manager
Cherri Global Limited is an exciting, new, and innovative New Zealand owned company determined to improve the production, quality, and returns from New Zealand cherries.
Cherri has a strategic plan to improve production with new growing practices and systems, implement state of the art supply chain processes, and heavily invest in consumer packaging and display trends. MBIE has stated that cherries are set to become New Zealand’s next “wine industry” and could become our next billion dollar sector.
The business is funded with significant investment in land in Hawke’s Bay and Central Otago and is seeking additional investment to fast track its orchard development aspirations over the next 3 to 5 years. It is in this capacity that Cherri is seeking to employ a South Island Horticulture Manager to oversee the current orchards and developments; which includes the exciting 200 hectare greenfield development at the iconic Bendigo Station.
With our Head Office based in Hawke’s Bay, Cherri has production and packing operations in Hawke’s Bay and Central Otago. Sales and marketing activities are conducted from Hawke’s Bay. All production is destined for export markets.
This is a senior management role based in the beautiful Cromwell area of Central Otago, we are keen to attract the very best talent to this roll; the remuneration package will reflect this.
Cherri is looking for an experienced Horticulturist or Viticulturist with significant orchard development and management experience, a knowledge and passion for new growing systems, a respected manager of people, and strong commercial acumen.
We need someone who is capable of working “in” the business but also capable of providing strategic support and advice to ensure horticultural needs and solutions meet the growth aspirations of the Company.
The role of the South Island Manager is to:
- take responsibility for the development of the annual planting programme and to motivate and empower teams to achieve excellence
- control major orchard development and operational spending
- manage the Post-Harvest interface between the orchards and pack houses
- take responsibility for the performance and results from new growing systems, plant nutrition, irrigation, pest and disease control and weather-related risks
- implement IT solutions for the management of orchard activities and labour management
- take responsibility for Orchard Health and Safety practices
You will need:
- a tertiary or industry-recognised qualification
- understand nursery processes and procedures
- experience with the development of new orchards/vineyards
- a knowledge of orchard structures for birds, rain or hail would be an advantage
- at least 10 years practical horticultural experience with 5 years’ experience as a manager of a medium to large horticulture or viticulture operation
- proven ability to manage pest and disease and weather-related risks
- proven ability to manage costs to budget
- to demonstrate the ability to grow quality produce while maximising orchard yields
- an understanding of the commercial drivers of value and their competing conflicts in a horticultural business (orchard, post-harvest and sales)
Please email your CV and application to: email@example.com
Or apply in writing to: Attn: National Horticulture Manager
Cherry International Limited
PO Box 8263
Or apply via the button above.
Only people eligible to work in this country should apply for this position. Please provide evidence of your work visa or citizenship.
- For information about the Central Otago wine Region, click here.