Type: Fixed Term
Wine-Searcher is the world’s most comprehensive wine and spirits database, with an average of more than 16 million pageviews a month. To support its powerful search engine and price-comparison function, Wine-Searcher produces daily news articles and features, and has compiled an exhaustive encyclopedia of the world’s wine regions and grape varieties.
We are looking for an experienced writer to join the team. The successful candidate will be able to produce crisp, clear, accurate and engaging stories for the magazine section of the website. The successful applicant will be able to identify and research stories both from external sources and from within our own data, and produce news stories and features to tight deadlines. Broad international wine knowledge is essential for this role. Data analysis and subediting experience would both be assets. Candidates will need a sharp eye for detail, a nose for a story and a professional work ethic. Duties will also include contributing encyclopedic content and engaging with other aspects of the Wine-Searcher database such as social media.
The job is a full-time role on a six-month contract, but could turn into a permanent position for the right person. This is a New Zealand based position, working at our offices in Auckland.
You will need:
- Good international wine knowledge and a willingness to learn (WSET qualifications or similar are desirable but not essential).
- Excellent written skills. We will be looking for good candidates, regardless of previously published work, but you must be an engaging writer and able to fill a variety of roles.
- Good analytical and online research skills.
We are also looking for:
- A willingness to learn about database management. Some knowledge of HTML will also be an advantage.
- Experience with social media – particularly Facebook.
- Experience with news/features writing.
- Knowledge of a second language will be beneficial (particularly Spanish, French or Italian).
- Opportunity to work with an international wine team with specialised knowledge.
- Opportunity to work for an internationally recognised brand.
The chance for further training and personal development.